Recalling Article 16, paragraph 1 of the Bamako Convention on the Ban of the Import into Africa and the Control of Transboundary Movement and Management of Hazardous Wastes within Africa setting up the functions of the Secretariat;
Further recalling Article 16, paragraph 2 of the convention establishing interim arrangement for the Secretariat ;
Bearing in mind the necessity to establish a fully operational, efficient and cost-effective Secretariat consistent with the financial resources available;
1. Decides that the Secretariat\'s functions shall be carried out by the United Nations Environment Programme, provided that the United Nations Environment Assembly of the United Nations Environment Programme authorizes the Executive Director to perform such functions.
2. Decides that the Secretariat will consist of a limited number of professionals and administrative personnel headed by an Executive Secretary.
3. Requests the Executive Director of the United Nations Environment Programme to designate a staff member as Executive Secretary of the Bamako Convention.
4. Requests the United Nations Environment Programme to provide the Secretariat with at least two (2) Programme Officers and one (1) Administrative Assistant.
5. Requests the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) in collaboration with the African Union Commission to take all necessary steps to ensure a smooth, efficient and timely starting of the work of the Secretariat of the Bamako convention.
6. Requests the Secretariat of the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm conventions and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) to take all necessary steps to support the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the African Union Commission to ensure a smooth, efficient and timely starting of the work of the Secretariat of the Bamako convention.