Provisional agenda, date and venue of the fifth session of the United Nations Environment Assembly*
Submitted by the Secretariat
The United Nations Environment Assembly,
Recalling General Assembly resolutions 2997 (XXVII) of 15 December 1972; 66/288 of 27 July 2012; 67/213 of 21 December 2012; 67/251 of 13 March 2013; 68/215 of 20 December 2013; 69/223 of 19 December 2014; 71/231 of 21 December 2016; and 73/260 of 22 December 2018,
Recalling also General Assembly resolutions 47/202 A (paragraph 17) of 22 December 1992; 54/248 of 23 December 1999; 56/242 of 24 December 2001; 57/283 B (paragraphs 9–11 of section II) of 15 April 2003; 61/236 (paragraph 9 of section II A) of 22 December 2006; 62/225 (paragraph 9 of section II A) of 22 December 2007; 63/248 (paragraph 9 of section II A) of 24 December 2008; 64/230 (paragraph 9 of section II A) of 22 December 2009; 65/245 (paragraph 10 of section II A) of 24 December 2010; 67/237 (paragraph 13 of section II A) of 28 January 2013; 71/262 (paragraph 27 of section II and paragraph 102 of section V) of 23 December 2016; 73/270 (paragraph 29 of section II),
Taking into account Governing Council decisions 27/1 and 27/2 of 22 February 2013, as well as United Nations Environment Assembly resolutions 1/2 of 27 June 2014 and 2/22 of 27 May 2016 and decision 3/2 of December 2017,
Recognizing the importance of the implementation of paragraph 88 Outcome Document of the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development: The Future We Want, welcoming progress made, including the establishment of the UNEA and stressing the importance for continued action,
Emphasizing that improving the effectiveness and efficiency of existing UNEP governing bodies plays an important role in delivering on the environmental dimension of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development,
Deeply concerned about the low progress made in several areas in the implementation of paragraph 88 of the Outcome document of the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development: The Future We Want,
Reiterating the commitment made under UNEA resolution 3/11 implementation of paraph 88 of the Outcome document of the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development: The Future We Want,
1. Decides to hold the fifth session of the United Nations Environment Assembly at its headquarters in Nairobi from 22 to 26 February 2021, in accordance with paragraph 3 of decision 3/2 of December 2017;
2. Decides that, in accordance with paragraph 10 of Governing Council decision 27/2 and paragraph 2 of United Nations Environment Assembly resolution 2/22, the fifth meeting of the open-ended Committee of Permanent Representatives will take place from 15 to 19 February 2021, without prejudice to decisions on further meetings of the Open-Ended Committee of Permanent Representatives, and requests the Committee of Permanent Representatives to deliberate, in consultation with the Bureau of the United Nations Environment Assembly, and decide, on the format and agenda of the meeting;
3. Approves the provisional agenda for the fifth session of the United Nations Environment Assembly as follows:
1. Opening of the session
2. Adoption of the agenda and organization of work.
3. Credentials of representatives.
4. Report of the Committee of Permanent Representatives.
5. International environmental policy and governance issues.
6. Programme of work and budget and other administrative and budgetary issues.
7. Stakeholder engagement.
8. Contributions to the meetings of the high-level political forum on sustainable development and implementation of the environmental dimension of Agenda 2030.
9. High-level segment.
10. Provisional agenda, date and venue of the sixth session of the Environment Assembly.
11. Adoption of resolutions, decisions and outcome documents of the session.
12. Election of officers.
13. Other matters
14. Adoption of the report.
15. Closure of the session.
4. Requests the Committee of Permanent Representatives, in consultation with the Bureau of the United Nations Environment Assembly, to contribute to the preparation of annotations to the provisional agenda set out in paragraph 3 above;
5. Requests the Bureau of the United Nations Environment Assembly, in consultation with the Committee of Permanent Representatives, to define a theme for the Environment Assembly no later than 31 December 2019;
6. Strongly encourages Member States to submit draft resolutions for consideration by the United Nations Environment Assembly preferably at least eight weeks in advance of the fifth meeting of OECPR, mindful of the theme of the fifth session of UNEA, the limited time and resources available to negotiate the resolutions during the fifth meeting of the open-ended Committee of Permanent Representatives and during the fifth session of UNEA, without prejudice to the rules of procedure, in particular rule 44;
7. Requests the Executive Director of UNEP to submit draft decisions for consideration by the UNEA at least eight weeks in advance of the 5th meeting of the OECPR;
8. Also requests the Executive Director to prepare, in consultation with Member States, the commemoration of the creation of UN Environment Programme by the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment held in Stockholm from 5-16 June 1972, making use of contributions from relevant stakeholders;
9. Requests the Chair of the Committee of Permanent Representatives, in in close consultation with the President of the Environment Assembly, to present to the Committee of Permanent Representatives for its deliberation and decision at the 6th annual subcommittee meeting a consolidated proposal outlining a consensual CPR based review process of the UNEA and its subsidiary bodies, with a view to providing concrete proposals towards the improvement of their efficiency and effectiveness, for consideration at the 5th session of the United Nations Environment Assembly;
10. Decides that the scope of the considerations during the review process will include:
(a) The preparation, working arrangements, and scheduling of the sessions of the UNEA and the objectives, preparation, working arrangements and the scheduling of meetings of its subsidiary body, namely the Open-ended meeting of the CPR, and the regular and the annual meetings of the Sub-Committee of the CPR;
(b) The respective roles and responsibilities of the Bureau of the Assembly and of the Bureau of the Committee of Permanent Representatives, including those related to the interactions with their respective constituencies;
(c) Criteria, modalities and timing for presenting and negotiating the Assembly resolutions and decisions;
(d) Monitoring and reporting on the implementation of the Programme of Work and Budget and the Assembly resolutions;
11. Requests the Executive Director to conduct a mapping exercise and provide an input paper on the topics specified in OP10 three weeks ahead of the 6th annual subcommittee meeting;
12. Decides that the review process shall work in an open, inclusive and transparent manner with opportunity for submitting written inputs by Member States and stakeholders throughout the duration of the process, and further decides that it will be co-chaired by two members of the Committee of Permanent Representatives, one from a developing country and one from a developed country;
13. Requests the chair of the CPR to hold a stock-taking meeting, not exceeding 2 days, under the framework of the 7th annual subcommittee meeting, with the goal of considering endorsement of the progress at that point;
14. Requests the Executive Director to submit an action plan to implement all subparagraphs (a)-(h) of Paragraph 88 of the Outcome document of the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development: The Future We Want, to be submitted for consideration at the fifth session of the United Nations Environment Assembly, and invites the Director-General of UNON to contribute to the development of the plan in respect to the implementation of sub-paragraph (g) regarding headquarter functions in Nairobi.